Thursday, December 22, 2005

A Very Good Day

It's recorded in a picture that hangs on the bulletin board beside my desk. Not a great picture, just a snapshot. Of my two rugrats. Not really rugrats in the picture, though. Nope, all grown up.

I remember it was a good day. Everything about the picture reminds me of what a very good day it was. A warm August day in 2000. Aaron, Jillian, and I went to our favorite restaurant in the country in an old converted barn. Called ... The Barn (obviously) in Smithville, Ohio. Great place, great food, wonderful salad bar. Twice the size of regular salad bars, all homemade stuff ... different hand grated cheeses, not the processed grated cheese ... cornbread with applebutter ... homemade soups ... mmm.

Anyway ... I snapped their picture in front of Aaron's relatively new Toyota pickup truck, all black and shiny. In the background is the old farmhouse that was converted into the gift shop that smells of cinnamon and apple when you walk in.

The sun was shining ... they were smiling.

I just remember ... it was a very good day. I miss having dinner with my children.

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: