Thursday, December 29, 2005

Life Is All About Change

...but growth is optional." A quote by Karen Kaiser Clark. I'm changing ... I feel it. I'm growing another year older, but that's not all of the change I'm talking about.

I'm finding that after years of writing, researching, reading volumes of books, plotting stories, discovering the quirks and psychology of my characters ... I've grown, as a person. I'd like to think it's made me better, but I doubt some members of my family would agree. However, part of having an open mind, I believe, is to change and grow. And for one to write, one must keep the doors to the mind wide open.

I don't look at politics, social issues, or religion the same way I did even ten years ago. I don't shut down when somebody disagrees with me. I've learned to listen. I give it a chance. I think everyone should have a voice. I regret stifling the voices of my children when they were little. "Seen and not heard," that whole stupid thing ... who made that up anyway?

I don't have all the answers, and my opinions only matter to me ... not the world. So changing and growing is a daily thing with me. I can be preachy ... I have ideas I want to put out there for the world to ponder too, but it won't piss me off anymore if you disagree with me.

All that being said, there are certain people I don't like and never will ... but if I happen to overhear Howard Stern say something that interests me ... I'll listen. I might even agree with big nasty guy. It doesn't mean I have to like him. Or watch his show. Because I don't. But who knows, some day Howard Stern may say something magical and contribute to society ... whereas Dr. Phil, who I adore, may say something totally off the wall, and I'll find him offensive and hurtful instead of helpful.

You see what I'm saying here? People change, but whether they grow from it or stop dead in their track ... that’s optional.

Blessings to you and yours.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But I'm always right about everything, correct? You're not outgrowing that part of our relationship, right??? ;)