Friday, December 23, 2005

Secret Squirrel

My best friend, Tina, and I have a secret code.

“Secret Squirrel!” It means “just between us.”

A long time ago, years and years ago (in case you’re reading this Tim) we went shopping and spent lots and lots of money we shouldn’t have spent.

“He’s gonna kill me!”

“No way, the man worships you.”

“I tell you, he’s going to kill me!”

“You needed that new dress! And those shoes … to die for. And you sure couldn’t buy those shoes and not by the bag!”

“But they weren’t on sale!”

“Since when do you buy things on sale?”

“He is going to kill me!”

Finally … after reconfirming our right to shop, we pulled into the garage. Tina looked at me and yelled “Secret Squirrel!” the second before we hopped out of the car.

I died laughing … you had to be there.

We kept our mall bags in the trunk of the car … brought them into the house on the sly, one day at a time. It worked. Husbands were oblivious … mission impossible? I hardly think so. Mission accomplished. Our secret code avoided confict!

From then on … every time we want to keep something on the sly, or between just us girls … “Secret Squirrel!” is yelled back and forth just as we’re getting out of the car or going into the house. And we laugh for the next five minutes.

It’s a girl thing.

Blessings to all you squirrels out there!

No comments: