Wednesday, December 14, 2005

I See Dumb People

That's right, I said dumb, not dead. It's a bumper sticker that struck me as funny riding up Interstate 95 this past weekend. But how true it is. How many dumb people can you count in a day on the road? Where do some people get off thinking they can drive? And Lord knows, I don't want to take away the independence of the elderly, but I swear to God, if I'm 87 and still driving ... I hope my children have enough sense to take my keys away before I kill myself and someone else because I either a) can't see over the top of the steering wheel b) refuse to drive faster than 10 mph under the speed limit or c) ride my brakes.

Dumb people are everywhere. In the grocery stores they're oblivious to the other shoppers, blocking isles and paying no attention to their screaming two year old. They're in the post office. The line is out the door and they chit chat with the front desk clerk as if no one were around. They serve me coffee at Starbucks and expect a tip! (I agree with you, Dena!)

They work in restaurants by the boatload. Either stopping at my table every two minutes to ask if I need anything, or completely ignoring me and I have to go find a manager to get my check. Then they get pissed off when I leave less than 20% for my meal ... which was cold when they brought it. And I'm not against leaving a big tip ... (my daughter supported herself through college as a waitress) ... I'll even tip a dumb person if they do their job, leave me alone, let me eat, or keep my water glass filled and bring me a check within a reasonable amount of time.

Dumb people appear everywhere. On TV, the radio, I see them in church, in schools, and working in hospitals! God help us all. Everywhere I turn, there's a dummy. Aik! I can't get away from people whose common sense took flight years ago! They're one taco short of a combo meal.

Then, I call for information on booking a room for my March book launch, and after three tries to get a response and no one cares to return my call ... I think ... maybe it's me. Maybe I'm the dumb one, thinking anybody works the last two weeks of December. Maybe I'm the bigger dummy, believing that people care enough about me to give me the time of day. Answer a friggen email. Thinking that maybe I could be a good reference for them if they'd just do their damn job! Okay, I expect way too much from anybody on December 14th.

Now who's the dumb person?

I guess, that'd be me.

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: