Friday, December 30, 2005

...Okay, So I Like Roosters

I don't do Hummels or Precious Moments (yuk,) I've even graduated from Teddy Bears. I wouldn't know the first thing about collecting stamps or coins. And the only doll you'll see in my house is a tiny porcelain-faced doll my son brought back to me from Portugal on his Mediterranean tour as a Marine. I don't put apples in my kitchen or fish or seashells on the walls in my bathroom. Even my kids' bedrooms never had a theme ... no Snoopy, Holly Hobbie, or Superman bedspreads.

But I have a weakness, a soft spot, and a fascination with roosters. And chickens. I know ... gross. I'm a country girl, what can I say? I believe it all started when I was little, my mother let me buy those blue, green, and pink chicks at Easter. But it was my grandma King that encouraged my fondness for these birds. She kept a chicken coop. The rooster perched himself on the fence line every morning and woke us as the sun peeked over the mountain. My grandpa swore every day he was ... "gonna shoot that dadgum varmint." But grandma loved her banny rooster. He'd strut around the yard like he owned the place. I have a picture of the old bird ... it's just a childhood memory now.

So I collect them. They're not in my kitchen. They stare down at me from shelves above my desk. Whimsical and unique, I've collected these birds from cities all over the country. I have a Canton, Ohio fat rooster, a Myrtle Beach rooster (dressed for the beach, complete with beach umbrella and swimsuit) ... a Williamsburg, VA rooster, a Gatlinburg, TN rooster, a New York City rooster, and a special rooster from Gettysburg, PA ... and one from Louisville, KY. My daughter gave me a rooster in a ballerina tutu I just love, and then there's 40% off rooster--ask Michael about that one. I have a signed Bob Timberlake rooster, and roosters made from rocks straight from the state of Idaho, and of course ... what Southern girl would be without her confederate flag rooster. I gasped when I saw it. My friend Tina even bought me this tiny dead tree with six hand carved roosters perched in it. I know ... it's out of hand.

But, for what its worth, they make me laugh. They're tacky as hell and I love every one of them. Okay, it's my one decorating flaw ... but they live in my office--I don't show them to company. Unless somebody says ... "I know this is crazy, but I collect roosters."

"You do? Would you like to see mine?"

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: