Saturday, December 17, 2005

Blocked

I set out to write in this "blog thing" every day. Today, I've run out of topics. I'll think of something tomorrow. But it's past noon, and my writers block has kicked in. I think I'll head on into the kitchen, make a sandwich, read the newspaper, wrap a present or two. Maybe later, I'll finish some edits on a story I've been working on ... cruise the net ... read my latest copy of Writer's Digest.

How long does writers block last? It's like a bad cold. For some of us, we can nip it in a day with hot tea and rest. Others ... it hangs on for weeks until we can't take it another minute. I've read tons of articles on the dreaded writers disease, but when you come down to it ... we have to find our own holistic cure.

Then, one day, the sun breaks through the clouds and warms the room, our fingers start to twitch and our butt itches to sit in our desk chair ... an idea begins to take shape, we meet a character, or get the first line to an article ... or hear the title in our heads.

And before we know it ... wham! Writers block is gone and we've written our latest masterpiece.

Well, maybe not quite. But at least my blog is done for today.

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: