Monday, December 12, 2005

A Little Closer To The Mark


West Palm Beach was a great success! I made great contacts, shook a lot of hands (I felt like a politician) and spoke to crowds of women! (and a few men!) Though the attendance for the entire week-end was not as high as they had hoped for, the Southern Women's Show in West Palm Beach (their first ever in the area) still rocked the town for three days!

I spent thirty minutes every day on stage delivering Southern Fried Women to the men and women who came to hear me or just happened to wander by and sit down to listen. The word is out and they want the book! Yikes! I have to meet the deadline! The preorders are hitting my web site!

Then we decided to mix in a little pleasure while in sunny Florida. Saturday evening, we took a drive to Hollywood and stopped at Hard Rock Cafe. Dinner at Bahama Breeze (one of my favorite restaurants) and then we cruised down to Miami. The weather was in the 80s and the balmy night air sucked the holidays right out of my head ... until I saw the harbor in Miami and every yacht was decorated to the max in Christmas lights! I just don't associate 80 degree weather and Christmas in the same venue. Stopped at Miami Hard Rock (I collect the pins) and strolled around the harbor wondering what it would be like to have the kind of money those boat owners obviously do. Whew! Decked out! Drove down Collins Avenue and then took our lives in our hands as we headed back to West Palm Beach. They drive 95 or faster on I95 around the Miami area!

If you ever visit Palm beach, cruise the beach area! Now that's a place of fantasy. Especially to a country girl like me. My goodness gracious. Every other car was a Porche, Rolls Royce, Mercedes ... or a Jag. I felt a little like the Beverly Hillbillies in our 95 Honda Accord.

But we did stop at the only Independent Bookseller in the area. The Palm Beach Book Store. I introduced myself and left information about the book. She indicated once the book was out, there's a good possibility she would have me back for a book signing. An enjoyable visit to a great little store.

That, plus the personal connections, networking, and the Southern Women's Show ... I did what I set out to do. I raised the platform higher. A little closer to the mark. A bit more of the dream realized.

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: