Wednesday, December 28, 2005

29 Years Ago Today

She arrived at 2:02 p.m., ten pounds of pink baby girl. Her brother waited at home, her grandmothers were in the waiting room, her daddy wasn't around. He missed her birth, devoted more to his "job" than his family ... but that's another story for another time ... anyway, it was just me and her. That was the 70s. They didn't have the capability at that time to tell the sex before the birth. I had a little boy at home, loved him dearly, but really hoped for a girl this time.

Half way out, the doctor said, "I think this one's a linebacker. Look at the shoulders on this baby." She flipped over and ta! da! She certainly fooled them! Jillian Leigh came into the world.

They laid her on a table next to me. She blinked and started to suck her fist. She was beautiful.

She still is. All these years later. She was a cheerleader, a perfect student, a bright and funny girl with lots of smiles for everyone. She has her moments (don't most girls?) but she has given me 29 years of bliss and blessings as her mama. A Masters Degree and a great job at The Ohio State University, a new love interest who is quite charming, and lots of friends. A great eye for decorating, knows how to dress, dance, loves to read, can cook more than a few great dishes, and treats her friends and family with love and kindness.

It's not easy being born three days after Christmas. Most of your gifts are all wrapped in leftover Christmas paper. People slight you because they have to buy your Christmas and birthday all at once. It doesn't seem to carry the same punch as her brother's April birthday. But this is an important birthday. You always remember, or should remember, your 29th birthday. You refer to it often the rest of your life.

I'm not with her today. So I have to rely on my memory. They brought her to me in a red Christmas stocking, after they cleaned her up and put her first diaper on her. I kept my little girl in bonnets, dresses, lacey socks and panties for the next four years ... but she remained a girlie girl. Athletic, but never a tomboy. She was the meaning of pink.

Today, she's celebrating with her boyfriend in New York City. I hope she's having a marvelous day. I hope she has 29 more wonderful birthdays. And 29 more after that.

Knowing her has been one of the three major highlights of my life. I am privileged and blessed that God picked me to be her mama.

Happy Birthday, Jillian. I love you.

No comments: