Sunday, September 25, 2005

An Oprah Moment for a Woman at Sea

I was born the same year as Oprah. I've watched her closely from the time she arrived in Chicago to today. I love her. Dearly. Most people do. She is the great humanitarian that will be studied in history books by our great grandchildren. I quote her from time-to-time and one of my favorites is, "You get in life what you have the courage to ask for." When I think of this quote, I think of Michael's cousin, Beth. A cousin, I've claimed as my own.

Take a look at this woman's blog. Talk about courage. She's on a trip around the world, a Semester at Sea, working administratively on a ship full of students and faculty that takes them to ports around the globe. A breath-taking adventure, not only at sea, but in courage. How many of us would do that, as adults ... living in comfort zones far beyond what we deserve, settled into routines we take for granted. How many of us would leave our families to teach young people there's a world out there, far beyond the suburbs and highways of America. A third world ... and not all of it nice.

Take a look ... www.bhanggeli.blogspot.com - rewind and start from the beginning.

There is no doubt in my mind, she's coming back as a different woman than when she left. She'll be here at Christmas, and I'm anxious to hear all of it. No travel writer (in my humble opinion) gets this kind of opportunity. Her account of her travels and her time on board ship, should be published in a book. I don't think she realizes how she mesmerizes those of us who are following her.

Your family and friends are watching, Beth.

Oprah would definitely be proud.

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: