Wednesday, September 21, 2005

One Day At A Time, Sweet Jesus

I know ... it's an old song.

But it describes how I feel this morning. I think I'm getting a lot accomplished, and then I look at my six mile long list. I think Michael's is a mile and half longer than mine, though.

Today's entry is a mixture of bits and pieces of everything.

A visit to WCOM yesterday and a read on the radio humbled and inspired me at the same time. Typically, I don't like the sound of my voice on recordings, but I'll be danged, this didn't sound too bad. In fact, I heard a bit of Marshall Chapman in there somewhere. (Whoo-wee. Love that woman's voice.) And, I love radio and I'm hoping to do more of it. Michael will be adding yet another page to the web site so you'll be able to listen to this recording.

I feel a mixture of emotions this morning. It seems the proverbial carrot of success swings just beyond my grasp as I trudge down this writing road. I think I'm working harder than I've ever worked in my life. But somehow, a writer's world is different in that it's much more personal. Sometimes instead of gaining confidence, I think I'm overwhelmed by the craft and all its "rules." I want to write and not think or worry about my choice of verb or too much backstory. I just want to write great pieces of literature that'll churn over in someone's head throughout the night and next day. I'm sure I'm not alone in my thoughts here. I want to write for the people, NOT the publishers.

The more I know ... the less confident I feel ... the harder I work. Who said chasing your dream was easy? But I can't imagine going back to anything else. I think the secret to grabbing the carrot and holding on to it is to stay inspired. A writer's mind never sleeps. Inspiration comes in many ways.

Today, I'm inspired by the mass of homeless humanity and weather events. This country and it's "natural" disasters wears thin on all of us. My heart bleeds for the vast number of displaced citizens. I want this damn blasted hurricane season to end. Our weather beaten Southern states are facing yet another bout of madness in the form of Rita. We've made all the way to R ... good grief.

We could all have a coronary over it. (Oh man, I need some humor today!)

And yet, we find ways to entertain ourselves in the midst of this weather madness. In the form of football season. A diversion.

My list is waiting as I as beat away on this blog. I need to inspire myself into the shower and get on with my day.

One more cup of coffee ... add a few more things to the list.

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: