Saturday, September 30, 2006

Sick Of It

I try very hard not to post any politically-minded blogs. I feel everyone has and is entitled to their own opinions ... most of the time. But this morning, I watched yet another news report of a local boy's funeral. My heart hurt watching the family mourn for their beloved son. Another fallen soldier.

And I'm sick of it.

I'm sick of men and women coming home dead from a war that makes no sense to me whatsoever. I'm a mother of a Marine. My son, thank you Jesus, came home safely from his time with Uncle Sam. But I remember what it felt like when he was away, not knowing how or where he was. And the war hadn't even started yet. I hated it then, I hate it now.

I remember vividly the Vietnam War. I also remember when my son was born; it was one of the first things I thought about. "Please God, don't let my baby son grow up to fight in a war that nobody wants." That was 1975. Vietnam was just ending.

I understand some wars have been necessary. Or at least WW I and II seemed to be. And I understand, there will always be wars and rumors of wars. But it doesn't make it any easier on families of sons and daughters who are carried home and laid to rest in the family cemetery.

This war ... in my opinion ... is the worst unecessary war. And when the faces of young men and women appear on the news, they haunt me. But, I'm the first to admit, it's a war so far removed from our daily lives, I don't even think about it. Be honest, how many times during the week do you contemplate this war? Unless you have a loved one in the service, I'll bet not much time is spent on it. I try hard not to think about it. I try real hard.

Until the news comes on and another beautiful, young face is flashed on the screen.

And I'm sick of it, once again.

Enough! Enough of Americans dying for people who don't give a damn about why we're there. Don't want us there. No more propaganda pictures, please, of Iranians holding welcome signs, hugging soldiers, and smiling soldier faces. NO MORE. Please, somebody give me a good reason why our sons are dying in a country where its citizens will always be killing themselves and hating Americans in the process. We're not going to change these people or their way of life. Not now. Not ever.

I was sent a another propaganda picture recently of a young boy in Iraq who was caught stealing. For his punishment, this seven-year old boy was held down and his arm was ran over PURPOSELY by a truck. To teach him a lesson. Is there any wonder why these people are taught to hate? These heinous crimes against humanity are unthinkable to us. Crimes against women and children in third-world countries need to be addressed, yes ... but we have to find a way to do it without killing our own. I know, easier said than done.

I don't have answers. I'm just a mom that can't stand to see any more funerals and 21-gun salutes on TV.

These people, these monsters, that would do harm to women and children, their mentality seeps through the very core of their society. It hasn't changed for thousands of years.

Why kill our sons and daughters in the process of them killing theirs?

Bring our soldiers home, protect our own borders, and find a better way (God help us) to help them.

Aren't you sick of it too?

Praying for protection to the families of children in harms way this day, and blessings to you all.

No comments: