Friday, September 15, 2006

The Days Roll On

On the way back from Florida, I stopped in Savannah to have lunch at Lady & Sons. Owned by the ever popular, Paula Deen and her two sons, Southern chefs on the Food Channel. What an experience. I stood in line at 9:30 a.m. for an 11:00 lunch call. And "call" it was. They ring the dinner bell, then you wait across the street until your name is called. A hostess gives you a ticket and tells you what floor you need to proceed to in the restaurant.

I was on the third floor dining room ... the lunch was fantastic. Meatloaf on pumpernickel with wild mushroom mayonaise, jelly roll fries, corn fritters, cheese bisquits, and ice tea with mint. Yum. I was too full for dessert, but the tray of desserts looked wonderful.

I gave the sweet, young waitress a copy of my book to lay on Paula's desk. Hmmm --- do you think Paula Deen would like a book about Southern Fried Women?

The next morning at 7 a.m. I delivered yet another speech to the Kernersville Rotary, attended the Fall Luncheon for the High Point Literary League, (guest author was Gregory McGuire, author of Wicked, Son of a Witch, Lost, and Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister), and then by 7 p.m. that same evening I attended and spoke at the first Open Mic at the all girl's Writer's Night Out in Greensboro. Needless to say ... I was ready for sleep by the time my head hit the pillow.

But the days roll on ... so do the good times, and (sigh) so do the bad ... there's been a few punches lately, but we ... roll with them. I'm busy ... promoting. And in promoting my work, I want more than anything to be kind to everyone I meet, as well as thankful and grateful. I've seen my share of nasty people in this world ... agressive and beligerent people. Nasty.

It's a breath of fresh, clean air to go on the road and find kind folk and people who take an interest in my work. Even in famous restaurants in Savannah.

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: