Monday, September 25, 2006

A Rose By Any Other Name ...

I've been practicing for my upcoming "musical" debut ... Southern Fried Women has been put to music and October 5th, the accomplished pianist/composer, Rose Lindsay Pfaff from Greensboro, will accompany me on the piano as I read from the book. Rose has composed a Prelude and a Postlude for Southern Fried Women, and will play renditions of gospel tunes throughout the readings.

Now if you've read the book, you know there are many tent revival and church songs mentioned throughout. Having literally cut my teeth on the back of a church pew, I grew up in revival tents, tabernacles, and grand cathedrals with TV cameras rolling. If you know me and my work, I explore the world of religion, spirituality, and the unexplained in nearly every story.

When Rose read the book something clicked inside her as she recalled the gospel songs she sang and played on the piano as a child. Rose relayed to me that her grandmother introduced her to gospel music.

Needless to say, Rose went to work. What transpired since has been nothing short of a miracle. Rose is a nationally renowned pianist and composer whose curriculum viate is five pages long. A recipient of numerous grants, fellowships, and awards, Rose creates sound sculpture, has taught music on the college level, and has been the Chair and Founder of countless music education programs. Rose holds a Masters in Fine Arts in Composition and a Master of Arts in Piano ... so I was nearly speechless when this gifted and exquisite woman asked to perform with me.

Humbled and honored ... I believe Rose's elegant style and nature has not only brought Southern Fried Women into a whole new dimension, but the contrast of her elegant style brings out the edge in my writing of the women in the rough, raw, and often tremultuous South. It enhances it in a way I’ve not seen done before.

Chairman of the Books and Arts Committee of the Women's Professional Forum, Rose was instrumental in this organization's sponsorship of the event. Complete with a wine and food reception afterward, these precious women support the arts in a major way. Their contribution to my work and that of Rose Lindsay Pfaff, is to be applauded. I am deeply appreciative of their support.

And Rose, well … this gracious woman is an inspiration. Tireless, she's also a workhorse. But above all else, I've never in my life been around a woman with so much class. It oozes from her pores.

By all means, please come to the performance at the Holy Episcopal Church in Greensboro, October 5th, at 6:30 p.m. This is one of the most beautiful sanctuarys I've ever been in.

And did I mention I’m singing?

Now hold on ... I'm no opera singer. I sing a little church chorus in the performance. (I’m a country girl, remember?) And I sing rather well, I might say. Well ... at least I can carry a tune ... and I've had years of practice singing old-timey gospel hymns in church, tapping my feet to the music, clapping, raising my hands, jumping up and down, watching grandma’s chin quiver, grandpa running around the sanctuary, and mama falling flat out under the power-glued to the floor. Even seen a few snakes in my day. Ministers and otherwise … but praise God, this is nothing like that.

A professional and elegant performance, Rose Lindsay Pfaff has made sure of that.

Blessings to you and yours.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How cool is this??? Does Stephen King have his own music? No, I don't think so. Does Pat Conroy? Hmmm...nothing comes to mind. But my friend Pam---talented author and musical sensation! What a wonderful friend to come up with music for your book! Does she do anything with cats??? ;)

Oh, one more thing. Can I be in the Southern Fried Women Broadway Production? And I want center stage.