Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Writers' Night Out

Last night was open mic ... Writers' Night Out ... only this time it was with the Winston-Salem Writers! Wow! An enthusiastic crowd of about 30 and talk about talent! Poetry and prose, all mixed in together - I LOVED IT. Extremely friendly folks and you could tell ... they really wanted to be there.

Some writing groups I belong to (which shall remain nameless) are tired, old, and worn out. The people could care less about each other and especially about supporting the group as a whole. There's no comradery, plenty of bitching, old-fashioned thinking, and it's just plain awful to be a part of it anymore. The only thing they agree on is that they disagree ... on just about everything. I don't have time for that anymore.

It really becomes apparant when you visit a group like the Winston-Salem Writers. Because I not only want to go back ... I plan to join them!

Maybe it's because they're a young group, but it became obvious to me after the room filled to capacity, this was the highlight of their day. The writers range in age from 30 to 80 ... corporate executives to the unemployed ... and the applause for each reader was genuine. I couldn't get over the enthusiasm for each and every reader.

I met some of the coolest people ... folks that had something to say ... and it didn't matter to them if they ever published a word, they liked the fact that this group gave them the opportunity to share their work. No-one felt bigger and better than anybody else and the crowd at the coffee house thought nothing of staying until the last one read. Over two hours of writers reading their work.

Amazing.

I read. Of course. Two pages of a story from my new book, SOUTHERN FRIED WOMEN. I read from VERNELL PASKINS, MOBILE HOME QUEEN. I thought it was well received ... and I invited the group to my book launch ...

Warm, warm folks. I'm still basking in the sunshine of it all.

Blessings to you and yours.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pamela!

Thank you SO MUCH for coming to our Writers' Night Out on Tuesday. We DID have a great time; we always do! The excerpt you read was wonderful, and I'm anxious to get a copy of your book.

As for Winston-Salem Writers...what an amazing group. If a writer, ANY writer, needs a nurturing supportive group, WSW is THE group.

Take care - hope to see you soon.

Vickie Bovender
Winston-Salem Writers
Membership Chair