Monday, April 03, 2006

Time Ain’t On My Side

I feel like I’m tripping all over myself, apologizing to everyone for lack of attention to “things” due to being immersed in completing my book.

I watched a clip on 60 Minutes last night. These thirty-somethings were high into their careers, up at 4 am, on their hand-held computers, lap tops--sending emails--answering instant messages--using two cell phones at once--then off to their jobs where they work like dogs until 6 pm, drive home (all while flipping back and forth between two cell phones) and then work until 9 pm at night. I think they fit an hour or two in to eat, sleep, and spend time with their six-month-old baby. (When did they have time to make a baby ... and ... why?)

No thanks.

Are we all crazy? Has technology done this to us? Made us into corporate zombies ... enabling us to be able to work our lives away? I want to spend time on the front porch watching the sun go down, listening to the cows in the pasture, feeling ocean breezes on my face, telling stories about the "good ole' days" around the table. I want to slow ... time ... down.

And yet, I'm trying to slow my own life down a peg. Being a writer who also is into marketing and publicity means little time for anything else and many long hours! Sometimes I’m pecking away until way after midnight. I’m also pulled in two directions. Promotion is important, but my first love, of course, is writing. As much fun as it can be to brainstorm and implement new marketing ideas, what I find most satisfying is the creation and polishing of my stories. Right now I’m torn because all I want to do is perfect and tweak my novel.

And yet, more short stories are calling my name! But I also hear the call of this blog every morning, and know I need to keep the promotion wheels moving. What a dilemma! Sometimes I wish I didn’t have to sleep.

Time ain't on anybody's side, when you think about it. I think we're all in a fight for time. Whether we fight to squeeze as much in a day as we can, or force it to slow down by kicking back on our porches and refusing to budge!

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: