Saturday, April 15, 2006

I Yam what I Yam

Popeye was one of my favorite comics as a kid. I don’t know why, but I always had a soft spot for good ole’ Popeye. He was a little ignorant and took a lot of abuse from Brutus. Popeye would take Brutus's crap only so long, then he'd snap. His pipe acted as a blowtorch or a cool can opener, and WaLa, another can of spinach ready for consumption. Popeye would then gulp it down, his muscles would grow, then he'd beat the snot out of his adversary.

Of course, Olive Oyl was no prize, but Popeye always won in the end.

The point is--Popeye didn’t put on airs. He let everybody know, “I yam what I yam.” What you see is what you get … like it or lump it.

I feel kind of like that today. I’ve been taking my lumps from Brutus lately and I’m looking for my blowtorch pipe—I need to beat the snot out of a few problems. Sick of the way things are in some areas of my life. I’ve got to make changes. Michael and I have worked hard, I’m tired of crap … extra stuff in my life I don’t need. I feel the need to streamline my life in all areas. I feel like I can’t throw another punch … it’s time to stop and smell the roses … win my prize … even if it’s Olive Oyl.

I yam what I yam.

Where’s my damn spinach?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Popeye was my FAVORITE cartoon when I was young (which is funny b/c I can't stand it now). I knew we had a lot in common! I used to have a Popeye puzzle, coloring book, etc. Gosh, it seems like yesterday. How did we grow up so fast?