Tuesday, April 25, 2006

New York City and Southern Fried Women

What a combo.

My trip to the Big Apple was filled with dinners in the city and talking about my book. Friday night was dinner with an agent and editor couple, as well as Saturday with another agent - all three people have become great friends of mine ... and professionals I've learned so much from. It was pure pleasure to place a copy of my first book into their hands. The rainy weekend prohibited sight-seeing, but I've done plenty of touring in New York, I needed the rest in between drives through the Lincoln tunnel and into the city.

The International Women's Writing Guild on Sunday proved to be my best performance yet. A panel of twelve authors, all of us speaking about our own publishing process. Everyone has their story and many of them struck a chord in my heart. It's a rocky road, and not always a sweet one. But the authors all had something important to say -- about their work -- about publishing. The audience could take a word or two home from each of us.

I spoke regarding my own experiences through this crazy maze of publishing. I must have resonated with many, because the positive responses fed my readiness to finish my novel. The next piece in the puzzle. A interesting thing happened, though. A woman in audience came up to me later, grabbed my hand and said to me ... "you must publish that book!" It wasn't so much what she said as how she said it, the look in her eyes ... haunting.

So ... Televenge is the next work to be done. Southern Fried Women was the precursor to it ... it's done now. I'm going to be speaking all around the South and reading from the SFW - but in the back of my mind ... Televenge is calling to me for completion. I went to New York City to introduce my collection of short stories to the world, and I came away with a clear path as to what I'm supposed to do next.

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: