Friday, January 27, 2006

Meeting Authors

As you probably know, if you follow my blog or web site, I get around to many of the author signings, in my area and otherwise. I learn a great deal from these events. What to do, what not to do ... which high-priced books have authors that can speak, as well as write. (Believe me, most of them cannot speak well.) Unfortunately, that really doesn't matter for some well-known authors with a dozen books in print. People show up to hear them, because they love their work, and they love the person that writes the book, not because they're known for their entertainment value on stage. Those authors are few and far between.

For some authors, they may shine in their writing ... but when it comes to performing it, talking about it in front of an audience ... they suck at it. I think we have to be honest, if you're going to go out there and talk to people ... know how to captivate them, seduce them, entertain them. You'll sell more books, but you also come off looking like the professional you feel you are.

But like I said, some need a speaking coach, a few acting lessons, and you need to watch every other author speak that you can ... watch the audience's reaction. You learn a lot that way.

So after many years of watching ... I'm investing in a coach. Someone who will take what I feel is already a kick-ass presentation and make it dynamic, inspirational, and leaving the listener with something to think about. I don't want anyone to feel they've wasted their time by coming out to hear me speak.

No longer can you get away with putting on a little humility act, reading for five minutes, being hokey, and answering a few questions. It's about being honest and putting everything you have into your writing and that includes your speaking about your writing.

That's how I see it anyway.

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: