Wednesday, January 18, 2006

How Small Is Your World?

Hearing Angela Davis speak last night, as I attended a Martin Luther King Jr. celebration at UNCG, made me realize that just because we think we're tapped into current events with the media blasting into our homes everyday, does NOT mean we're getting the truth. The media is often biased, it does not always accurately report world events.

Civil rights activist, Angela Davis, reported to the few thousand people who packed out the campus auditorium that our prison systems are a mess, that Katrina victims are still out there and just because the media has abandoned them does not mean the problem has gone away. Her speech focused on about a dozen other moral and social issues that all of us should but don't think about. Not giving us any solutions, her message was to the youth ... it's time you find solutions and tell us how to solve these problems.

I remember Ms. Davis from the 60s and 70s ... I remember hearing what a trouble-maker she was. A black militant and what was worse, she was a woman. Being but a young teenager at the time, my life was boys, clothes, and the Rolling Stones. The last thing I wanted to think about was what was this woman all about. (Shame on me.) Last night I sat and listened intently to her message, and though I didn't agree with 100% of it, I was stirred by the intent and the devotion to which she has dedicated her life around it.

Her message is that racism in our country has NOT improved. Racist laws may be off the books, but the racists still exist. There is still a struggle among all the races. She even addressed the conservative views of some African Americans, as well. I liked when she said ... that it's not about the color of your skin, it's your political beliefs in making this planet a better place in which to live.

She asked the question more than once, "What would Dr. King say about the Katrina victims?" "What would Dr. King say about political prisoners today?" I believe Dr. King would call the nation to prayer. I believe he would be ever present in Washington and keep human rights in the forefront of the nations problems to be addressed. Rights for all people of every nation.

Her delivery was riveting, and I personally found myself thinking about issues I'd not thought of in a long time. It made me realize just how small my world is (and how small minded many people have become- they close their eyes and refuse to believe these problems still exist) ... that none of us can change it all, but we can do our part by becoming involved in a program or a group or writing letters ... something to make our world a better place to live.

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: