Monday, January 08, 2007

The Power Of Words

I received a call this evening from a dear friend who informed me that one of her dear friend's mother-in-law passed away last week. I did not know the family, but evidently this beautiful elderly woman was deeply in love with her husband who passed away last year. They had been married over a half century and it seemed her world stopped when her husband died.

My friend called to say that HER friend happened to love my book, SOUTHERN FRIED WOMEN. Especially the story THE HOMESTEAD. I certainly understand how she must have related to the characters in this story. She gave the eulogy at her mother-in-law's funeral this past week and read from the ending of THE HOMESTEAD.

It sent chills all through me. I was deeply moved and touched that this young woman loved my story enough to include it in the eulogy for her loved one. The funeral was at a Baptist Church, filled to capacity.

An unexpected gift of publicity. You never know. But more than that, oh so much more, my words were a source of comfort to a family in mourning. The power of words never ceases to astound me.

Blessings to you and yours.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you. It's only a matter of time before the rest of the world discovers how gifted you are.