Monday, October 10, 2005

What’s Your Glory?

"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I don’t anticipate a smooth ride. I wouldn’t know what that’s like anyhow.

Allow me to ask you an old question. What do you want most in life? A good marriage, happy healthy children, a peaceful home, more money, a better car, and a job you like?

I know a few of my fundamentalist friends would say—eternal security. To know they would make heaven should the Lord call them home. A guarantee. “Only one life will soon be past, only what’s done for Christ will last.” Heard that one? Yeah, me too … many, many times.

Sometimes we don’t know what we want until we loose something special we already had. I know a few individuals who would “amen” that overused statement. They lost their “glory” to another man, or woman, or bad decisions, or in a game of poker.

Is there a burning desire in you somewhere … for financial success, to retire perhaps, to get healthy, maybe take a trip, spend more time with your family, a desire … a wish … a hope … a dream?

Things we want … how about being taken seriously … respect. (Every time I go to Ohio.)

Have you ever looked hard at someone’s dress, suit, or pair of shoes and knew they didn’t shop in Wal-Mart? You walk right past stores like Saks and Nordstrom’s, knowing you can’t even afford to walk in.

Ever watch your husband or wife stare at a perfect body and wonder how the hell you were supposed to compete with that?

How many times have you caught yourself staring at a good-looking couple, obviously in love, and you can’t speak for the hunger in your throat? I have. Many times in years past.

Or maybe you know of a family whose bed of roses only had a few thorns, if any. Know any family like that? I do. Cushy, cushy lives. Jealous? Do we begrudge them their happiness? We shouldn’t, you know.

Did you ever drive down a street of beautiful homes and imagine living in this one or that one? How about at night, ever peek in the windows as you’re driving by; see a beautiful Christmas tree all lit up, or a winding staircase to a balcony on an upper floor with chandeliers twinkling overhead in the darkness?

Ever long to be needed, wanted?

Have you been invited to a party at a friend or co-workers beautiful home and wonder, how the hell did they get so friggen lucky?

Ever walk past a BMW or a nice new car and fantasize what it would be like to walk in and pay cash?

What would be your greatest glory? Do you associate receiving glory as you amass possessions or become successful? What is the true meaning of glory? How much time do you waste reaching for it?

I look at my husband who suffered the extreme pain of being a parent – loosing a child, and his greatest glory is different now than it was in his youth, I’m sure. These days, his desires revolve around the love of his family, and finding his purpose in life. He would say his glory is my glory, I’m sure.

I drive past a cemetery and look at the name on a headstone and imagine … who they were, where did they live, how did they die, what did they do in life, were they loved, and does anyone remember them? How much glory did they have in life?

Glory, as I look at it in my fifties, is just a word. A term used in religious circles a lot. Glory is usually reserved for someone who has accomplished great feats of bravery, or risked their life for another, or invented a cure for cancer.

And don't misunderstand me, there's nothing wrong in wanting to be successful. Not a thing wrong in the achievement of wealth, or finding your pot of gold. Just put it into prospective ... Make the sacrifice and turn down the overtime this week to take your kids to a park. Love your family enough to take the weekend off (and that means from church too) and take that trip to the beach or the mountains. God would approve, I have no doubt. I've seen too many people strain and work so hard for the approval of God, finding His glory, that they lost their families in the process. Where's the glory in that?

For me … I’m with Ralph. My greatest glory is being able to pick myself up ... and start again. Every day.

The rest … if achieved, is just a blessing.

Save the glory for God. He’s the only one I know worthy of adoration.

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: