Saturday, October 15, 2005

Be A Fearless Writer

How does one write with no fear? Fear of what?

Fear that you may come off looking like an idiot on paper? Fear of pissing somebody off? Fear of what your "family might think." Fear of making stupid grammar and spelling errors. Fear of ... well, you name it ... I'm sure we could make a long list.

As a writer, I've learned that passion for your craft overcomes most fear. Eventually, you'll develop editing skills or hire one. And if you let fear stop you, you're really not a writer. If your story is worth reading, then write it, if only for yourself.

Look at the massive amount of books in the world. Do we like all of them? No. Are they all rivoting stories of wonder and magic? No. Are they brilliant pieces of literature to pass on to future generations? I certainly hope not. What do they all have in common? They're published.

Some editor, somewhere, liked it.

I know the competition is tough. I've heard all the statistics and have read the realities and horror stories of the publising world. I subscribe to Publishers Weekly and watch it carefully. I suppose it all boils down to that old cliche of believing in yourself.

Author, Diana Gabaldon once said to me ... in fact, she wrote it down when she signed my copy of DRUMS OF AUTUMN ... three simple things 1. read 2. write 3. don't stop.

Go to my website and read the poem on the contact me page - SO YOU WANT TO BE A WRITER - then shake all the fear out somehow. We must not live in fear. We cannot fear the future. We therefore, WILL NOT write for fear of what other's think, fear our own inadequacies, or for fear itself. (Darn, if Roosevelt wasn't on to something when he said that ...)

Fearless ... one of my favorite words. If you know me, you know that's true.

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: