Tuesday, October 25, 2005

An Uphill Journey

If you've read my Journey 2005 on my web site, you'll see wonderful things have happened to me on this pathway to publication. Many famous authors and agents have crossed my path, and opportunities that don't ordinarily happen in the life of a struggling writer.

But what I don't tell you that I'm letting slip out on this blog, is that those opportunities I talk about, the conferences, writer's events, book signings, and chances to see and speak to the right people in the business ... Michael and I go after them like hound dogs after a rabbit. And it's not easy. It takes money, first of all ... believe me, we pinch pennies sometimes, and we make painful decisions of one conference over another. Lots of research goes into Michael's part, we make decisions like which direction is best for my career, or how do we get there from here (in more ways than just the travel,) and how do we allow enough time for me to write that week? I have to write every day.

We don't dilly dally in any city, and while there we seek out the independent book stores and make the rounds. Usually we're lucky and make right decisions, but once in a while we miss the mark and we should've gone to this conference instead of that book signing ... and sometimes our plans fade through no fault of our own.

This week, I was scheduled to be in West Palm Beach, but hurricane Wilma changed that itinerary for me. It devastated the eastern coast of south Florida. The show director called this morning to inform me the show has been cancelled and rescheduled for Dec. 9th through 11th.

The key in promoting oneself is to be flexible. Because all your plans can hit the toilet in one big plop overnight.

The journey to publication is often an uphill climb, it's a tough trek to see your work in print, and even in the best of circumstances ... getting your name out there can be like getting a root canal. Sometimes the process is painful, but is sure feels good when it's done. On to the next event.

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: