Friday, October 14, 2005

Life In The Slow Lane

It's one of the reasons I love the South. Everything, and I mean everything, is just a little slower down here.

Of course, it can get a little frustrating in traffic, or when you need a plumber. We don't honk our horns much or use turn signals, and service people could come anytime within the next 90 days. Just be sure and be home for 90 days, hard to tell when he might just show up. Then, you never know, it's very possible your grandma knew his grandma and after an hour of shootin' the bull with the plumber and drinking the last of your sweet tea, you're invitin' him to dinner and he's callin' his grandma ... "guess who I'm havin' dinner with?"

People do good work, just don't expect it done when you want.

I've been to Chicago, Cleveland, and New York City a few times in the past couple years, and it's like waking up after surgery getting back to North Carolina. Or recovering from a bad cold, or the flu. I'm a country girl. I like saying hello to strangers. I enjoy taking an hour or two for lunch. Seems I rushed through the first fifty years of my life ... I'm not wasting a single moment in the next fifty. Oh sure, I enjoy my computer and my cell phone and I'm not interested in going back to the 50s. But when I can ... I'm gonna sit back with my feet up, go to lunch with my girlfriends, have romantic dinners with my husband, take a drive to the mountains for no reason, open all the windows and breathe the country air while sipping coffee on the deck.

There are so many horrific catastrophes and problems in the world. So much injustice and heartache. It covers the news media, it's why CNN was created. You've got to be aware, care, and be a good citizen. Contribute. But you've got to stay sane too. That's why people move to the South, in my opinion.

It's just a little slower down here.

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: