Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Age? Weight?

If you're like me, or most people over the age of 35, you hate those questions. I don't mind the age question so much anymore. I'm okay with it. I've learned to accept the fact that even though I feel 21 inside, I know that 51 doesn't look like 21 anymore. And sometimes I feel like I've earned my battle scars.

But weight? None of us want to go there. Even my skinny butt friends think they have weight problems. The yo-yo syndrome has plagued me and many women all our lives. There's big bucks in weight loss products, pills, potions, exercise equipment, and books. Even celebrities get on the bandwagon - believing they have the solution to obesity. From Richard Simmons to Dr. Phil, everybody "has an answer." Every authority on weight loss is out there pedaling their books and theories with the answers to your fat loss.

Uh-huh. And most of us, have have been dumb enough to try them all. Wasting thousands of dollars every year on all the solutions to our battle of the buldge. And our metabolism just keeps on slowing down ... year after year. Especially when you eat lots of FRIED food, which is a way of life down South.

Remember when you could run all day as a kid? Never get tired? Swim until you were one giant prune? Ride your bike for miles? Then, over the years ... you bogg yourself down with all the cares of the world you never had as a kid. And you get fat.

Maybe the secret is to be care-free. Simplify your life. Who knows. I think the trick is, to come up with your own solution. Find your own way. What works for you. I personally hate routine. No two days are alike for me. So that makes it difficult. But somewhere we all have to find time to eat better and exercise more. I think it all boils down to that.

Aging is a process and not a very nice one. If we can get healthy and remain healthy along the way, it makes it less painful to deal with. I don't mind aging, I hate getting winded walking up a hill.

Here's to your health!

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: