Monday, October 03, 2005

Three Days To Birmingham

The Southern Women's Show in Birmingham is three days away. Our list of things to do to get ready for this show is way long. But we're excited to get on the road ... this is a big event in my career ... and our plans are to visit two or three independent book stores while in the area, introduce myself and my book - hopefully, get an invitation to come back for a signing when the book is out.

I'm not sure I'm doing this whole marketing blitz the way we're "supposed" to. I look at the "lists" by the professionals and it seems we're blazing our own marketing trail. I never followed many rules in my lifetime anyway. My mama could "amen" that statement. I wrote my own rules ... which now that I think about it, got me into a lot of trouble. So why am I not following proper marketing etiquette now?

Who knows. I suppose this old barn has seen so many coats of paint, I'm not sure what color I'm supposed to be. I guess I don't know how to follow - I'm always leading the pack. But right now, at this moment in time - it's working. So, who's to say that finally, my time has come. After all these years. Thing is, nobody has ever taken an interest to help, unless I had to pay them. Not that I haven't paid for advice, mind you. Michael and I have paid a lot of money out in writing conferences, dues, subscriptions, classes, trips to New York, etc. But mentoring seems to be a thing of the past. I never had one. I think that's why I've structured my web site to record my journey. Maybe some writer somewhere can learn from me for free.

So -- Michael and I ... we do what we feel is right and best. If we make a mistake, sure as hell won't be the first we've made in our lives. We just back up, turn around, and take a different turn in the marketing road.

'Cept I can think of a couple times when "doing my own thing" worked.

Like when I said, "this church is a cult - I'm taking my kids and we're out of this place." It caused quite a ruckus. Cost me a marriage and nearly my life. But it was the right thing to do. Years later, over 200 people woke up and found themselves in the same cult. They walked down that blazed trail and out of those "church" doors forever. As for me, I never looked back, never regretted it. Not once.

What's all this got to do with Birmingham?

Everything. It takes more courage to write your own rules, than to speak in front of hundreds of people. You get knocked down enough in life, it's easy to do the little things, like present your writing to the masses. I never had the privileged life. But, who cares now. It's made me who I am, and that's not so bad.

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: