Monday, August 07, 2006

Whirlwind Weekend

Michael and I are writing a column for a new, slick, local magazine called ... Piedmont. It covers a five county area bordering Virginia and North Carolina ... by and around the Blue Ridge ... the piedmont.

Saturday we toured Patrick County and you'll just have to get a copy of the magazine in October to read about it ... but let me tell you ... music and the mountains go hand in hand in this area of God's country. And food ... let's not forget food. Needless to say, the people, the scenery, and the antique shops are but a few of the highlights of that trip. You need to make it one of your destination goals ... to visit the Blue Ridge Parkway and many of the small towns around it at least once in your life. They're a country and a culture unto themselves ... no finer place in the world ... in my humble opinion.

Sunday ... Wine, Baseball and good friends. Dena, Blair, Michael and I spent a leisurely afternoon in the warm breezes of a somewhat cooler summer afternoon at Childress Winery. Go experience it for yourself, if you can. Lunch is excellent and the wine at Childress is the perfect compliment to the meal.

We laughed, ate, drank, enjoyed each other's company and then headed to Greensboro and a baseball game at the new stadium. The Greensboro Grasshoppers are on a winning streak and the place was fairly crowded, but comfortably so. It's a fabulous new stadium. Clean and the food is first-class junk food! After two hotdogs, a beer, a tub of popcorn, a smoothie, cracker jacks, a soft pretzel, and an ice cream cone later ... we were ready to pack it in. I can usually last until the 7th inning, and then it's time for me to go.

Baseball, for me, is a social game. A place to go talk, eat, and get an occasional thrill watching a home run or see some young kid catch a fly ball. Otherwise ... I don't see the excitement. Unless, of course, the team is on some great winning streak. But, I recognize it's an American passion ... and thus, at least once a year ... I support my local team.

Great food, tons of fun, the best of friends ... a winning combination for the memory book.

A whirlwind of a weekend? Yes, indeedy. 'Cept next weekend's my birthday ... I don't believe it's going to be any less of a tornado than this one was.

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: