Thursday, August 31, 2006

SIBA

Southern Booksellers Independent Alliance! It's on the horizon ... the past three days, I've been packing and repacking ... preparing for this mammoth trade show. An opportunity to network like never before with Southern booksellers.

As Chairman of the Sisters in Crime/Mystery Writers of America BOOTH in Orlando for the 2006 trade show, my job began in January this past year. The list was endless ... registering, contacts, signing schedules, booth decoration, simply endless attention to detail. And I've loved it. Although, I'm not sure I'd do it again, but it has been a unique experience. One for the memory books.

I've attended Book Expos and trade shows for some time, so I knew I had a good handle on what needed to be done ... (beside the fact that this is my background ... I've done stuff like this for hosptials for years.) Now, however, it's for ME and for the writers near and dear to my heart!

There's been a little politics involved, but nothing this old broad hasn't handled before. Besides, I love a challenge. The road to success for any other is not an easy one. Those who look for easy, won't find the blue ribbon they hope to achieve. Not really. Not for the long term.

Good writing, fabulous story, and all craft aside ... when you dive into the publicity world of books, there's nothing like a book trade show or festival to either get your feet wet, or make your mark on the memories of booksellers. Hooking up with Sisters in Crime, although I'm not a mystery writer, (but writing is writing) has offered me wonderful opportunities. I love the Sisters in Crime concept, the reason they were created. To offer writing, research, publishing, selling opportunities to women!

Spreading our little show all over Booth WL#57 will prove to booksellers we came to play ball! Over here! Look over here! Our booth screams with excitement and up to three authors will be signing their books at the booth round the clock. We come complete with graveyard, skeleton heads, crime scene tape, and spider webs. But besides the cool decor, we offer free books to booksellers. The best mystery writers together in one place!

It's been a busy couple weeks ... organizing and planning. But we're off next Tuesday ... gone for a week to the wilds of Florida and SIBA!

Right now I have to finish putting the bow on a raffle basket ... a super huge basket we award one lucky bookseller daily... hmmm, where'd I put my scissors?

It's a mystery.

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: