Saturday, August 12, 2006

It's My Birthday And I'll Laugh If I Want To

I'm selling BOOKS! Whoopee!

Friday, at Bliss Spa and Salon ... I sold 16 books! Saturday (today) I walked away with another 19 books sold! For a first-time author on a book tour ... that's pretty good. Include the 21 I sold on Wednesday at the Women's Professional Forum meeting ... that's 56 books in a week.

Not a bad birthday present. I'll be celebrating yet another year gone by in my life on Sunday ... proving to myself that life doesn't get shorter and I'm grabbing what I can on my way out.

The signings this week were wonderful ... meeting so many people ... mostly, women. But there were that handful of men that bought the book for their "wives or mothers." Once they realize, it's not chick-lit ... they may find they love the stories as much as their wife. I've had many men tell me just that. But the week was full of validation and satisfaction to the degree that I feel good about taking my birthday off and not thinking about writing or publishing or publicity for 24 hours.

Especially after the day I had today! I've said it over and over ... and sometimes I wonder if writers really hear me. Networking is the key to any writer's success. It has become my mantra.

Today, I signed a book to Jacquelyn Mooney, a book to Maya Angelou, and a book to Oprah. I met someone with a strong connections today who felt very sure she could get my book in to the hands of these women. You can only imagine my thrill and delima. How do you sign a book to artist Jacquelyn Mooney, author Maya Angelou ... let alone ... Oprah? After several drafts on scrap paper, I opted for something simple and sincere.

So who knows. Will they actually get the book? I feel pretty confident in my connection. Will they read it? Maybe. Possibly. Will I hear from any of them? ... Well, it's the dream of most writers, isn't it?

But you know what? Just to be able to say that I actually signed a book to these women ... is a great honor. Knowing that I signed it anticipating it would actually get into their hands ... I'm content. The rest ... is up to the good Lord above.

Later today ... another piece of GREAT news ... a five-star review from Midwest Book Reviews! And I quote "... Pamela King Cable is one of those infrequent writers who can bring reality to fictional characters so strong that you'd swear you had encountered them in your own life's history. Southern Fried Women will leave the reader looking forward to more from this accomplished, imaginative, skilled, and entertaining author!"

It's my birthday ... and I'll LAUGH if I want to!

Blessings to you and yours!

1 comment:

Frankie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.