Monday, November 21, 2005

Poor Little Fat Rich Girl

I’m sure Michael has forgot about it, but I haven’t. I thought about her this morning. The poor girl, maybe five foot two at the most, her legs so fat she could hardly walk, wearing shorts and walking up the street in Hillsville. Her body was as wide as it was tall.

God, I thought, how awful for her. Handicapped by fat. Her long wavy dark brown hair down to her waist swayed around her wide hips. She was proud of her hair, I think. Maybe she thought it was all she had to be proud of.

I know, I know ... there's all the heavy people out there claiming they're perfectly happy being fat. To "leave them alone, don't make fun and hurtful comments, and don't discriminate against them!" I suppose if you're truly happy and truly healthy being 100 pounds overweight, then fine. Be that way. Otherwise, it's a load of crap. I don't believe you have to be pencil stick thin. I do think you need to be healthy. Fat is not a good thing, no matter how you size it up. I agree you do need to appreciate and love people for who they are on the inside ... that's important. And it's a cruel animal that says anything derogatory to another person, no matter their size, shape, or color. But risking one's health is not a beautiful thing.

I stared at her in the side mirror as we passed. I thought maybe she's on steroids, maybe her thyroid didn’t work right—and maybe she just ate too many donuts. Who knows? A friend walked next to her, hopefully a good friend. She wasn't quite as heavy, but almost. And there I sat in my car riding up the hill, on my own fat butt, gawking at this humongous girl, … at least she was walking. God bless her.

I found out she wasn't so poor. I heard from a store proprietor she was from one of the wealthier familes in town. She had just walked past his store as I was there. It was then I realized that just 'cause you're rich, it doesn't mean you're bound to be thin.

Anyway, the point is, I thought about her this morning as I wondered what pie to bake this week for Thanksgiving.

I got back on the treadmill today. What a week to start dieting.

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: