Saturday, November 19, 2005

Bless Her Heart

I seldom watch television ... but when I do, it's because there's a movie or something significant I really want to watch. So yesterday ... I'm sitting on my bed watching the very end of the movie Titanic. I love that movie, and though I didn't take the time to watch all of it, I wanted to watch the last fifteen minutes ... you know, where they all freeze in the ocean and Jack's lips turn blue and he floats down into the ocean after Rose promises to "never let go." Sure, you remember ... snif, snif.

Anyway, I'm sitting there -- totally into it -- and my mother-in-law (bless her heart) peaks her head in the door and says, "You watchin' Montel?" (doesn't wait for me to answer her but keeps on talking ...) "somebody on his show wants to know why men have nipples! Can you believe they asked that? Well, Sylvia Brown said it was 'cause all babies start out as females ... now that makes sense, don't it?"

Not to be rude, I had turned my head away from the TV to respectfully listen to her, and missed the best part (in my opinion) of the Titanic movie.

"No Mama, I guess I never thought about why men have nipples, but you're right ... it makes sense."

Damn.

You gotta love her. (But next time she's into Cops or Judge Judy ... I'm going to interrupt with "Mama! Did you hear Montel today? Somebody said our ears don't get bigger when we get older, it's our head that shrinks! Damn! he was serious!"

She'll freak out, but we'll be even. (Bless my heart.)

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: