Monday, November 28, 2005

The Crazy Holiday Season

It's here. From now until New Year's Day ... America lives in a holiday mood. No one wants to work much. Every day feels like Friday. We take off as much time as we can, spend money we don't have, and vow not to worry about being broke or being behind in our work until January.

It's crazy.

We eat too much. We drink too much. We watch too many Holiday movies. And we shop too much.

This year, we're into cutting back on all of it. Is it possible to keep the holiday spirit, the spirit of Chrismas, and still not indulge in gluttony and overspending? Is it everybody's dream, or just mine, to get in a plane on December 20th head for a tropical island and not come back until January 2nd?

You would've never heard me say that years ago. Not when the kids were little and it was all about them. But these days, I just want to get away from it all. Take my husband and go lay on a beach somewhere.

Although I'm no Scrooge, and I do enjoy the lights, music, and festive spirit, I do hate mall traffic, shopping, and not seeing the people I really miss. There's never enough time or money. I want to do the candelight Christmas Eve this year, forget the gift giving nonsense.

This year, Michael and I have to go to West Palm Beach in early Dec. so I can present my work at the Southern Women's Show. It's going to cost a few bucks in gas, hotel and food to go down and back. It's our Christmas present to each other. Otherwise, I might have gotten a new coat. And Michael might have received the new camera he's been wanting. But we sacrifice for what we want. Yes, even at our age. And while I'm a poor starving artist, waiting for my big break in the Literary world, I'll give up a new coat any day to get the opportunity to talk about my book.

Maybe next year, who knows, I'll send Christmas cards from St. Lucia and come home to a full-length Anne Klein original while Michael takes pictures of me in it with his new Cannon.

Until then ... I just want to get this month overwith.

Happy Holidays everybody!

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: