Wednesday, May 30, 2007

When Writers Share

Last Saturday I spent time with a room full of authors. Most of them self-published, or small press. All new authors ... for the most part. The event was scheduled for the public, but it turned out only a few interested fans showed up. But that was okay. It became a mini-writing conference for the writers.

It's good when writers share. Experiences, publishing woes, success stories, and a whole host of issues that plague us regarding the publishing industry. Some writers work harder at their craft than others. Some have to share their writing passion with a full time job. I realize I'm one of the lucky few who can devote my days to chasing my dream. It did not come without a price, however.

Most writers pay a price to write. We enter the arena with visions of some level of success. And sometimes, those levels are not attained for many, many years. How many folks can wait that long? How many people give up before seeing their work in print?

I know for me ... the editing process I'm now currently in, continues at a grueling pace. It's good when I can share that with somebody who understands. Many of my non-writer friends and family just don't get why it's taking so long. I wish I could explain it to them in better terms. But when you've promised your kids you're taking them to Disney Land, you can't expect them to be happy turning into a McDonald's playland. I want my readers to experience "Disney Land." I want Televenge to set the reading public on fire. I want that. So to that end, I pour myself into every word as I edit. Making sure the book is as fine a novel as I know how to make it.

I had lunch with two of my favorite writers today. Dena Harris http://www.denaharris.com/ and Ed Schubert http://www.edmundrschubert.com/. We three seemed to have hit it off years ago. On occasion, we get together to catch up and see where everybody's at in their writing endeavors. As much as I see us struggle, I see glories ahead for everyone. Both Dena and Ed are professionals with a long list of published articles, essays, stories, and editing accomplishments. Our goals may be different, but our love for writing is very much the same.

My point is ... writers need to share. Whether by blog, at the kitchen table, in a writing conference, or on a park bench. A writer's best friend ... is another writer. Whatever you're going through, whether it be plotting your first story, dealing with your first rejection letter, or editing your first novel ... another writer lends the best ear.

Now I'm not talking about teaching. Just sharing. Listening. Being a writer friend. Every writer needs one. It takes the ruts out of the road and makes the success a bit sweeter.

I'm grateful for my writer friends. They're a loyal bunch.

Blessings to you and yours.

2 comments:

Ingrid Briles said...

I think you have become my 'muse'. Everytime I read something that you have written, I need to go write.

It is only very recently that I have joined a writing group, and I have enjoyed it, but mostly, I find writing a very solitary way of life.

When I write, I seem to be inside some sort of bubble, and all that exists for me is what is going on the page. Even though I don't believe in that stuff, sometimes it's almost like being posessed by my character.

I am writing a Christian Thriller (in the midst of many little stories that just grab me sometimes) about a place in Jerusalem called 'The Temple Institute". I have to change the name cause the Institute is a real place. I invented a woman named Ida Levadiva who will be my 'fly on the wall', my observer, and often my voice around other people's conversations. Anyhow, Ida is a Ukranian Jew who survived Dachau, wandered through postwar Germany, and with the help of missionaries, found her way to Israel. She has been the cleaning lady at the institute since it opened shortly after the "Six Day War". Writing Ida's introduction and story was one of the most painful things I have ever done. A man in my writer's group is Jewish, and he said it is the most perfect archtype of a concentration camp survivor he has ever read. "I" didn't write her story. Ida did. Anyhow, that is why I think of writing as isolating. My characters just sort of 'have their way' with me.

I am trying very hard to get to know some of the people in my writing group as friends. They are a very diverse group, so that's nice. Two of them write for the local paper, one is a musician, we have a teacher, there is a realitor, an athiest, a couple nominal protestants, some non-specifics, and two of us pentecostals.

I loved your story about Laura. Mine was Josie. She died of an inoperable brain tumor at 11 years old. That is what you have done for me. I never thought anyone would want to read about Josie, until I read about, loved, and cried as I read about Laura.

Have a wonderful day, and enjoy your new grandbaby!
Ingrid

Pamela King Cable said...

Thank you, Ingrid! I appreciate your kind comments. Keep writing and bubbling! Your book sounds interesting and I wish you every success!