Friday, July 07, 2006

Thrilled

I've updated my APPEARANCES page on my web site. Check it out! www.pamelacable.com. I'm getting the invitations and the bookings to speak ... selling books is an amazing process, and grueling - all at the same time. When "people" in the industry tell you to build your platform ... they literally mean it ... one brick at a time. I feel as if I'm carrying this bag of cement on my back and as my publicist hands me a brick, I slap the cement on and firm up my foundation yet a little more.

I'm wondering, as I look at the career of other authors, (at least as far as I can see through the pages of the Internet), if they possess some of the same feelings and pressures I'm experiencing. Sometimes, they all sound so calm, cool, and collected when I read their interviews, opinions, and "hear" them eloquently speak to their interviewer. I wonder, do they really talk that way when they're not being "interviewed?"

Does the world of publishing ever overwhelm some of these MFAs? Do authors with several books under their belt feel less pressure than authors like me, with a first book trying to push its way to the front? Do they find time to really work on their next book, or are they consumed with marketing their work?

I've been invited to speak and sign at the Southern Festival of Books in Memphis. I wonder if the other authors that attend, feel as elated over their invitation as I do ... or are they getting used to being invited to book events of this magnitude?

In my truly humble opinion, I don't think I'll ever get used to it. I'm thrilled and I think I'll stay that way. At least for a long, long time.

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: