Saturday, February 18, 2006

Heavy Hitting Subjects For Writers

The following questions weigh heavy on the minds of writers and in the coming weeks, are ones I plan to explore and tackle on this blog ... so stay tuned.

But for now, I'm on my way out of town for the week so this blog may trickle a little for the next several days. Doesn't mean I'm not working ... I'm taking a week to finish my edits on SOUTHERN FRIED WOMEN, network, visit bookstores, and chill a little.

In the meantime ... I'll also be preparing to answer these questions:

1. What's the real deal on self-publishing from an author's point of view?

2. How perfect does my writing really have to be to land a book deal? In just one area or all of them? What kind of help can I really expect from an agent or editor?

3. Do I seriously need to attend a writing conference? I despise name-dropping, how critical is it to meet important people in the business? How connected do I need to be?

4. I loathe public speaking. How do I get around it? How much of my own publicity do I honestly have to do?

5. Do I need to pay attention to all the writer and agent's blogs on the Internet? Are they written for all writers?

6. Do I need a degree? Do I need an MFA degree?

7. I'm on a limited income and budget. How do I self-publish? What's involved? What about the Publish On Demand people, would that be a good route? What's the stigma if you're self-published or better yet, is there one? Should I just risk the slush piles?

8. Do I need to hire an editor, publicist, and do I really have to join toastmasters? And what the hell is a platform?

9. What do I do if I've worked hard on a piece and my critique group thinks it sucks?

10. Is there a point where I should just give up and face the fact that I'm too young to write, too old to write, I can't afford to take the time to write, or I'm just not that good?

Like I said ... stay tuned ... I'll be delivering these answers from a writer's point of view (which may surprise you.)

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: