Wednesday, February 01, 2006

A Blubbering Woman

Yep, that would be me.

Yesterday, I attended the wonderful Women's Business Expo & Symposium "Empowering Yourself" at the Emerald Event Center in Greensboro. Actually, I was blessed with the opportunity to take over the Writers' Group of the Triad Exhibitor table for my friend, Dena, who could not be there.

Meeting many of the wonderful professional women in the area was just plain fun. There was tremendous interest in the writer's group, as well as my book, SOUTHERN FRIED WOMEN ... of course, I had my information proudly displayed.

But I think the highlight for me was the lunch speaker, Dr. Johnnetta B. Cole, President of Bennett College for Women. She talked about women's rights and how we all had to take responsibility for our actions and thoughts. She also spoke of the past and how we as women, who remember what it was like to suffer in a male dominated society, should not allow racism to creep into our lives. (Made me think of when I was 20 ... in 1975 ... and I was forced to quit my job at 7 months pregnant.) She said a lot of things that made me think.

And ... the room grew quiet as she spoke of the late Coretta Scott King who had passed away that very morning. It was a solemn time. But I couldn't help but think (when I heard the news driving to the event that morning) what a homecoming she and Martin were certainly having.

So later, after lunch, I walked up to Ms. Cole (maneuvering myself around the other women who were taking pictures with her or trying to speak to her) and ... I caught her just briefly as she was walking out. "Ms. Cole," I said. She turned to me and smiled, then she held out her hand, and the moment I touched her ... I began to cry. Don't ask me why, the tears flowed down my cheeks and dropped like fat blots all over my nice white jacket. I was able to quickly squeak out about my feelings for the King family and for Martin Luther ... relaying to her my maiden name was King ... and she smiled again. Then she said to me, "He was for all of us." She gathered me into her arms and hugged me.

It was a spiritual experience. There's no other way to explain how I felt. Of course, later ... I felt silly and stupid for breaking down like this in front of such an influential woman ... and I hoped nobody seen me blubbering. But I think somehow, she saw the raw emotion and honest feelings I had inside. It was cleansing.

So the Business Expo was more than just an opportunity for me to network. I felt like I'd been to church.

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: