Wednesday, May 09, 2012

What's So Amazing About Grace Anyway?

Every day I wake up I'm thankful for grace. For His renewed mercies. For this amazing thing we call, grace.

And it seems, for political and other reasons, so many of us smug humans forget that grace binds us all. It's grace that keeps us from flying off the face of the earth! It's by His grace that gravity holds our feet so firmly on this planet that He hung upon nothing!

It seems so many of us attach limits to grace. That we can only possess a measure of grace if we obey this law and that political group. Walk this line! Live this way! Believe like me! Grace can only be yours if you sit your butt in church every Sunday without fail and worship like I do!

Hmmm. I wonder.

What was Jesus really like when He walked and talked among us? I think about his first recorded miracle, at a wedding no less. I have to believe He danced and drank His wine and laughed with guests. It annoys me that Christians have turned Him into a somber, priest-like eunuch, never smiling or feeling the temptations of men. More than that, they put Him way out in space in a makeshift Heaven where nobody can reach Him except the chosen ones. They create God in their own image. Weak, petty, and self-righteous. It makes not a lick of sense to me.

He felt what we feel. He knows us down to the the very last cell in our bodies. He created us. Nobody knows us like that. How can we be so intolerant? How can we think the way we worship, the way we live is the only way, the best way?

Grace is divinely inspired tolerance. It wraps around us and holds us to Him.

Love is the result of grace, and it seems to me this world would be a much better place if we practiced a little more of both.

I don't have all the answers, but my heart is heavy this morning. I'm so thankful for grace. To me it's a little more than amazing. It's astounding.

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: