Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Social Media ... When To Say It's Enough!

My brain is bleeping Tilt! Tilt! I'm on overload wondering how many "HOW TO BE THE BEST BLOGGER EVER" BLOGS are on the Internet? Clicking on the ever-popular HOW TO BLOG blogs gives me a headache.

Ten tips on how to know the five reasons why you can't blog about those twelve things ... Lordy.

I've been blogging since 2005, essentially for myself. I blog on what matters to me. Writing, family, friends, the publishing industry, religion, my home, my children, what's bothering me, televangelism, what I love, writing ...

Lately, I've been reading blogs that are solely about writing, publishing, editing, marketing your work and I find that after a while ... they begin to repeat themselves. In my case, I'm not blogging just to writers, I'm blogging to readers. Not all readers want to know about query letters, how to land a publishing contract, and polishing a manuscript.

I guess I'm not consistent. That doesn't make me a bad person.

Some of my blogs speak to the writer. Some to the reader. And then, some speak directly to me. For the most part, I write what's weighing heavy on my mind. It comes out easier that way. I'm not searching my brain for every little sentence. I suppose if I followed the "rules" I might collect a few more readers. Possibly. And if I downloaded pretty pictures or trolled for guest bloggers, I might get a little more attention. It's fine if that's what you want on your blog, but what if it's not?

Does that make me a bad person? What's wrong with simplicity?

Here's the kicker: Social media is overwhelming. Today's writer is competing against enormous odds. Twitter and Facebook and the rest are necessary to the writer's platform. And really, even after a morning online, you're never quite sure you've appeased that Social Media Monster. We can spend hours and hours on the Internet, posting, blogging, building relationships, wondering if it's ever enough all while our manuscripts are languishing.

The key to knowing when it's enough is within you. I get edgy. I can feel it's enough when the irritation begins to build. When I'm watching the clock and thinking about a new character for the next chapter in my story. Self discipline and time management plays a part, sure, but it's more than that because in reality, ALL of it is important. What is most important to you? A simple question but do we ask ourselves--are we becoming Facebook/Twitter junkies? I had to learn where to draw the line as a writer. When to say ... enough. And just maybe you do, too.

By the way, did you watch the Hatfields & McCoys on the History Channel last night? It was awesome.

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: