Thursday, May 17, 2012

The FACEBOOK Monster

My good old blog. I feel like hugging it this morning.

I remember the days when it was so much simpler. Getting up in the morning, taking my coffee to the computer. All I had to do was flip through a few emails and write an occasional new blog.

Not anymore.

Now, there's Twitter that can hold you hostage for about a half-hour, and Shelfari, and Goodreads, and Pinterest, and this Library thing I'm on, and then there's the big monster. FACEBOOK. If I'm not careful, I can waste the whole morning. Do we really need to touch base with all this social media every dang day? I don't even talk to my mother or my grown children every day!

And for cryin' out loud, there's thousands of links and sites that can take you off in forty-eleven directions ... mostly on how to "better utilize" FACEBOOK. It's becoming a love/hate relationship for me very quickly. I love connecting with new and old friends. But it seems FACEBOOK has barred me from new friends for seven days since they received "complaints" that "I've made numerous attempts to befriend the same people." ARE YOU KIDDING ME? If you've received more than one request from me to become my "friend" it wasn't from me. I ain't beggin' ya. Ya know? C'mon! I'm not that desperate. Believe me.

But I feel like FACEBOOK has sent me to the corner with a dunce cap on my head.

Frankly, I'm taking a few days off from the FACEBOOK monster. I feel so green sometimes. I do love people, and I really do like making and getting reacquainted with friends. But I don't like being accused of something I'm not doing. And of course, there's no way to complain to the Facebook staff.

There are many things I do love about getting the word out about my work, building my platform, and helping many other authors build theirs. It's important and I get that. And I do like being able to reach out when prayer is needed for my family, as well as other families. I think that's a marvelous thing to be able to do.

But right now, at this minute, I don't appreciate the FACEBOOK monster. I'm extremely frustrated with it all. I'm sorry somebody thought they had to complain. I'm staying away from Facebook for a few days. I've got better things to do than be insulted.

Like writing.

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: