Monday, March 10, 2008

Blogs And Corn Casserole, Yee Haw

My dear friend and colleague, Dena, http://www.denaharris.com/, says her blog is just her everyday journal. No real theme. Not a HOW-TO blog, or a thoughtful, insightful, MFA-type "writers" blog. (Spare me, please.) Not a rant. It's not a bitch-blog. Nor does Dena flaunt her wealth of knowledge about writing. She writes a funny, humorous, and heart-felt blog about her daily life.

Well. Her ho-hum blog (as she's called it) has become a daily habit for me. I can't start my day without my next installment in The World of Dena. It's like getting hooked on General Hospital. She's quite funny, extremely talented, and her writer's voice is often hysterical. You never know what's coming out of her pretty head next. Coffee and Dena-blog. Kinda like ham and eggs.

My point is ... a blog can be anything you want it to be. It's yours. You decide. That's the beauty of the Internet. So today, in honor of my vegetarian friend, Dena, and my own "homespun" blog, I'm posting my first-ever favorite recipe. Something I've never done before. I love to cook, in fact, I'm from a long line of great cooks. And I mean really, great cooks. Anyway, this one is from my mom. I've not made it for quite a while, but you'll see it's quite "Southern." Truthfully, Paula Deen ain't got nothin' on my mama.

Enjoy!

Corn Casserole
(Usually a holiday dish, a Sunday dinner side-dish, or great with a bowl of chili!)
1 Large Onion (Chopped)
1 Stick Butter
2 Large Eggs
1 Can Cream Corn
1 Can Regular Corn (or Mexicorn)
1 Box Jiffy Cornbread Mix
8 oz. Container Sour Cream
Cheddar Cheese (optional. grated. eyeball it.)
Salt and Pepper To Taste
Prepare a 9x13 dish with butter

Melt butter in a medium skillet. Sauté onion in butter. Set Aside
Beat eggs; add cream corn and niblets, Salt and Pepper
Mix in Corn Bread mix, add sautéed onions and sour cream
Spread mixture in the dish
Cover with grated cheese. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until set in middle.

Now that's good eatin'. And bloggin'.

Blessings, y'all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the lovely words. =) And I am ALL for a Pamela Cooking Blog. People, this woman can do some damage in the kitchen. I have semi-erotic dreams about that New Year's Eve cake you made one year. I'm STILL running off the calories two years later but it is sooooo worth it!