Thursday, April 19, 2007

Highs And Lows

It's been a week of highs and lows. Our celebration of Jackie's life went well. Sitting around the table, there were a few good cleansing moments. The photo album got passed around and Michael read many things aloud about her that some had forgotten ... things she liked and didn't like. So we kept it light and we laughed too. It was a good thing we did. A tribute. I liked it, though I didn't have much to add. But it was wonderful listening to those who knew her.

If you have a loved one you want to remember, take some time and just sit around the table and talk about your family member. Share a meal, pass photos, read passages of their life, and share your own memories. It's a small thing, but a good thing to do.

Unfortunately, the work week can't shut down when you're going through something like this. And this week's been a particularly busy week. Tuesday, I spoke to a large group of mostly women volunteers and staff from Women's Hospital. Their appreciation banquet, held at a beautiful facility in town called, The Painted Plate. An attractive group of women, I must say.

It was also nice to see some of the familiar faces I'd once worked with at Moses Cone Hospital. Whew, that seems like such a long time ago. Women's and Mo Co Ho are under the same umbrella of health care system. Many of the pediatricians I worked with in my department went back and forth to Women's Hospital. But the speech went great, and once again ... I sold books. It's a very validating feeling.

Yesterday afternoon was the Spring Lunch for the High Point Literary League with guest author, John Hart. His book, The King of Lies is a bestseller. A native son, his first book has opened doors for him that will fast-track his career, for sure. I salute him and hope to follow in his footsteps. (Don't we all?)

I continue to work (day and night) on the novel. I just wish it was done. I whine about it a lot, it seems. But it's my own damn fault for writing such a long book. I feel like I'm walking through a maze sometimes. Stumbling around in the dark hoping to keep the right things in and take the right things out. Not all my editors agree and ultimately, it's my decision. I wonder if John Hart went through this?

I'm off to speak today at the Greensboro Country Club for the Wesley Long Hospital Volunteer's Appreciation Banquet. Tonight is my Writer's Group meeting and tomorrow morning we leave for the Bluegrass Festival of the Book in Lexington, KY. Ah, the life of an author.

So though the week has been filled with highs and lows, it's been an interesting one. Many times I'm asked, "Do you miss working at the hospitals?" I miss the folks I worked with sometimes, especially when I get to see them again, like this week. But I wouldn't go back ... not for a second. I'm doing what I was meant to do. I know that like I know my name. And that, my friend, is the ultimate high.

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: