Friday, April 13, 2007

A Day In The Life

An amazing thing happened to me this morning. I had to turn down work. There's not enough hours in the day. Their May 15th deadline was impossible for me to work with, and it killed me to turn this down ... but such is life. I can't work around the clock, which sometimes, is what I feel like I'm doing.

This week, I spoke at two different Rotary meetings. The first in North Durham, a great group and sold books again. I would love to speak to them in the future as they grow. Their members are diverse and extremely high energy. And I spoke to a Rotary this week, one I've been to before, but one I wanted to give a report as to my "love affair" with the Rotary for the past year. This little group was the first Rotary I ever spoke to. But they're not little any more. The Archdale Rotary has new members in their crowd and it was with great pleasure I was able to chat with them again. And yes I know the Governor of North Carolina is Mike Easley and not John Edwards! Sorry about that, Larry. Politically minded, I am not. But you can be sure I won't make that mistake again! Whew.

Tonight, I'm off to Charlotte for a state seminar of the National Speakers Association. Should be great and I'm looking forward to it. In the meantime, I'm still burning the midnight oil working on my novel. A day in the life of a writer is 24/7. Our brains never switch off. I used to think I worked hard when I was employed at the hospitals and later in Pediatric private practice. I remember wishing I had more time to do what I wanted. Now that I'm doing what I want to do, I've never worked so hard in my life.

A day in the life of a writer is varied, fulfilling, and often busier than a one-armed paper hanger.

But I'd never go back. Never.

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: