Friday, March 16, 2007

Perfect Timing

I spoke to a Rotary on Monday. Not receiving the response I usually get, it surprised me, somewhat. An older group, and maybe that had something to do with it. Some of the members were warm and friendly, but the group as a whole didn't have the open arms I've experienced in other Rotary Clubs. Maybe, just like people, the group was having an off day. The President showed up an hour late, the Vice President never showed at all. Or maybe it was me. Maybe I was having an off day.

Then last night I was the Keynote Speaker for a graduation banquet–a fabulous group—Randleman Leadership Development Program. After a delicious meal by The Wild Onion catering--all Mike and wanted to do was sleep. What a feast. Not the typical buffet food of most catering companies. This was real Southern cooking and we found out she's got a restaurant in Randleman! The response to my speech overflowed with warmth. And I received the nicest gift ever for speaking ... pottery! This area is known for its beautiful pottery. All in all, these folks embraced me and what I had to say, bought a lot of books, and I went away with a great inner feeling. I did my best. They liked the presentation. All was well in the world.

Lastly, I received some edits back on my novel. Sigh. There's still a lot of work to be done. I'm not afraid of the work. But some of the comments bothered me a great deal. So I slept on it. Lo and behold, I get up this morning to the following email:

Hi Pam, I just finished the last story in your book. (Southern Fried Women) I'm not apologizing for taking so long to read it. It's not the kind of book one reads all at once. I took my time and savored each story. "Coal Dust on my Feet" left me in awe of your writing talent. It was a magnificent story, excellently written. You will go far in your writing career and I'm so glad I've gotten to know you. Helen

Helen Goodman is the past President of our Sisters in Crime Chapter. I wrote back:

Thank you, Helen. Your email came at the perfect time. A much needed moment. I'm working on my novel and it's grueling. At times, as a writer I wonder what the heck am I doing? Then the good Lord knows when I need something like this and He sends it to me in the voice of a friend. Like you. Thanks again, Helen. It was perfect timing. God Bless, Pam

After I finished the email, I looked down and the two quotes on the front of the program for the graduation banquet stared me in the face. I had laid it my desk last night without reading them.

”Great achievements are not born from a single vision but from the combination of many distinctive viewpoints. Diversity challenges assumptions, opens minds and unlocks our potential to solve any problem we may face.”

“Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise; risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical, and expecting more than others think is possible.”

I’m not sure who wrote these, as the program doesn’t give the author. The Randleman Leadership Development Program applied those quotes to leadership.

This morning, I applied them to writing my novel. But nevertheless, Helen's email, the quotes ... it was all perfect timing.

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: