Friday, October 26, 2012

Why Do I Do It?

The book tour is like a trail in the woods and sometimes there are steps to climb. You hope it doesn't rain, or folks won't show up. You hope the bookstore is able to draw enough of a crowd. You hope the stairs aren't too steep. You hope you don't wear out before you get to the top. You hope ...

The tour continues and I'm looking forward to today's visit in Greenville, SC. I was interviewed by a Greenville newspaper yesterday, so I'm not sure when the article will run. Mostly I find the media is interested in the story behind the story. Which, if they're not familiar with your writing, is typical. The way I see it, the story behind the story, although fascinating, is not as thrilling and full of suspense as the novel.

Televenge was conceived many years ago in the pages of many journals. Journaling carried me through many dark days and nights when I felt the splinters in my feet from my barrel's bottom. Carrying burdens animals shouldn't bear, I sometimes could only squeak out a few words on the page. But the act of opening that journal and watching my hand move across the paper brought sanity within arms reach. Although I blog these days, I miss the old days of opening a spiral notebook (sorry, could not afford leather-bound journals) and clicking my favorite pen.

My constant struggle to get this book into the hands of readers wakes me periodically through the night; thinking. There's got to be a better way. Though I have a great publisher, it's hard to compete with the big 6 and their muscle to buy space at the front of the big box stores. Their ability to put big money behind their authors is the reason why so many writers go after the traditional brass ring. But I've never followed tradition much. I like change, I like being a part of blazing new trails. I'm of pioneer stock that often rears its ugly head in my quest to sell my work.

So, I work with what I've got. A good car, good health, and the ability to go where I need to go, and speak to those who will listen. Meeting the public up close and personal, word of mouth ... a slow and steady climb. Let's pray each limb on the tree is strong.

Nobody is guaranteed success. You've got to go out and make it on your own. Writing the book is the easy part for most of us. Writers are not celebrities. Well. 10% are, but the other 90% struggles with failure every day. In one way or another, we feel it lurking behind us like a predator.

Why do I do it? I know the power of Televenge. The story. I know what it wields. It's full impact has yet to be felt. But I'm getting there. I'm getting there.

Blessings to you and yours.

As an added bonus today, below is a great blog that ran one of my posts this morning: Enjoy!

Would You Drink The Kool-Aid?

No comments: