Monday, February 13, 2012

Touchdown Pass For Publicity!

And so it begins! My radio interview this morning sent me spinning! I'm pumped. Ready to rumble. Live internet talk radio is the coolest thing. From your own home, in your jammies, you can talk to the world. Susan Rich Talks, was my host this morning, talking about my books, my writing life, and specifically--about Southern writers and dialect in writing. Twenty minutes of discussion ... giving writers something to think about. Tune in to her show! Susan Rich is doing a great service out there on the west coast for all types of writers, so check out her website and tune in!

It's one way to get the marketing machine started as we make our way toward publication day.

I'm convinced the success of any book is the amount of leg work you put into it after it's written. My head is spinning with ideas and I'm wondering if there will be enough time in the days ahead to do all I want to do. I'm working hand-in-hand with a great publisher and publicist to give Televenge a huge push into the literary public. It's exciting. It's scary. It's a hell of a lot of work. I do believe I could spend twelve hours a day just reading the blogs and websites that deal with book publicity.

In the days to come, I'll be posting my ideas, what worked, what did not. And of course, I'll rely on my old tried-and-true ... public appearances. For Southern Fried Women I spoke at over 150 venues, only scratching the surface. It's going to be a busy year, and it's already Valentine's Day.

The road can seem daunting. There are monsters everywhere. The bad economy, the fluctuating publishing industry, and bookstore after bookstore closing their doors. But I'm reminded, strangely, of the Tom Brady story. The Aaron Rogers story. Those quarterbacks that nobody wanted in the beginning of their careers. Their struggle was years in the making. But eventually, the best won out. Boy-howdy, did it ever. It's enough to give this writer that extra push I need on most days to keep going. Who knows? Televenge may be the touchdown pass I was hoping for.

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: