Thursday, February 04, 2010

The Women In My Family

She's nineteen. Today's she having her first baby. She is young, beautiful, and single. Surrounded by her sisters, her mother, and her grandmother, my niece is in labor as I write this. Her baby son is about to make a grand entrance into the world. A grand nephew, indeed.

In my immediate family, there are twelve women. Each of us, unique and different. Some of us, vastly different from each other. But what my sisters and I have in common is that we gave birth to some stunningly beautiful girls. And now, they are birthing their own children.

For my mother, my sisters, and myself, the road has been full of potholes the size of canyons. It's our daughters who motivate us forward, to fill those damn blasted potholes.

No matter their course, our daughters will forever receive the support from the women in their lives. Today, as my young niece finds herself in the throes of hard labor, she will contemplate this new road chosen. She will consider the many potholes that await her. My wish for her is courage, supernatural strength, and an abundance of patience. More than anything, she must carve out a life for herself and her son that will be full of good things for him and for her--separate and apart from everyone, and yet remaining a close member of her family. The women in my niece's life have caught her in the midst of a great fall, lowering her softly to solid ground and the security she has known all of her young life. And that's a good thing.

Yet, I'm positive this is the hardest thing she's ever done.

My daughter, and each of my nieces, also possess class, charm, humor, intelligence, and a love for their own mothers. But I doubt any of them know the boundless love their mothers hold for them. It's something a woman doesn't see in its entirety until we become a certain age.

I'm hoping, as my precious niece goes to death's door to give life, she's allowed a little peek at the love the women in her life have for her. It'll give her the courage, strength, and patience she needs to go forward.

God bless our new baby boy.

Blessings to you and the women in your life today.

No comments: