Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The Need of Rotary

Yesterday I spoke to a room full of Rotarians in High Point, this time a different group ... FurnitureLand Rotary. Appropriate, as High Point is the furniture capital of the WORLD. (Twice each year the world comes to High Point for the Spring and Fall Furniture Market.) Just a tid bit of information ...

But this group of business people welcomed me and listened intently to my speech. Afterward, the book sales were once again astonishing ... enough so, that I gave 20% of the proceeds back to the Rotary for their fund raising campaign. It's a great feeling to give back ... it's as satisfying as selling the book to me. (Oh yeah, right ... I hear your comment ...)

Believe it or not, it's true ... and if you ever get the chance to hear my speech, COMING OUT OF THE DARK AND INTO THE LIGHT OF A WRITER, you'll understand why. Why it is that giving back is important to me. If you have ever been in need, you know what I mean.

Consider yourself lucky if you've never gone without. Consider yourself blessed. It's great to have and not want for much. Most Americans fill that category. But the Rotary, I'm finding out, have many honorable causes and helping those who are down on their luck, in need of a helping hand, or searching for their next meal ... are usually among the list of causes the Rotary raise funds for.

Many of the characters in my stories have great needs. Out of that need a writer can create great conflict and resolution. To reach back into my past and remember those feelings, emotions, and moments of desperation ... I have a treasure chest to draw from.

I only wish I knew about Rotary back then.

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: