Friday, October 20, 2006

Farewell To Memphis, For Now

A trolley car took us from our hotel to downtown … Beale Street, again ... and the Gibson Showcase. Gibson … guitars. Ring a bell? They make Gibson guitars there … needless to say; Michael was in “hawg” heaven. My husband, having taught guitar, plays beautifully and is in the market for a new one … but that $2,000 item is going to have to wait a few more months.

Dressed to the nines, we went to what we thought would be a killer party. Crowded, about 300 authors/spouses/whatever showed up … but only for a buffet dinner. (We were way overdressed … I suppose T-shirts and blue jeans are okay no matter who you are and where you go these days … I’m just a little old fashioned, I suppose.)

Tennessee Humanities didn’t have a program or even a welcome, just the obvious … tables and balloon centerpieces, an open bar, and a long table of catered food. And I didn’t see anyone I really knew or recognized. The bigger name authors, to my knowledge, didn’t show up. But I suppose … maybe that’s a good thing. The rest of us schmoozed with each other … it was fun for a while, but I was ready to head out early.

Another walking trip up Beale, loud blues and jazz bellowing out from a dozen bars, parties of all ages, even a bridal shower party in pink shirts and cowgirl hats (a bridal posse) … strolled down the street. But it was time for another trolley ride to the hotel and sleep for me …

I’m such a party animal … zzzzzzzzzzz

This morning we headed back to Knoxville … up at the crack of oh, I don’t know … eggs in a pan for me … pancakes for Mike … yet another Cracker Barrel knock-off. Some Cracker Barrel wanna be. It was okay … hot food and a shot of coffee to our bloodstream … a necessary evil when you’re looking at putting 400 plus miles behind you in one day.

Traveling to Knoxville … Sunday … football all the way … (my headsets were glued to my head, tuned into my I pod … Fleetwood Mac, Allison Kraus, and Bruce Springstein.) The road ahead-- due East. I 40 looks the same in every state it crosses. Arriving at our last hotel for this trip, we prepare for one last stop on Monday morning.

The Mama bookstore of them all … Malaprops in Asheville, North Carolina.

Stay tuned …

Blessings to you and yours.

No comments: