Friday, November 11, 2011

Veteran's Day Cake

I understand that my very great grandfather fought with General Washington. I've been told my great grandfather was a WWI veteran, and that my grandfather was a veteran of WWII. Daddy is Korean War veteran. My husband is a Vietnam vet. My son is a veteran, having honorably served his country in the Marine Corp. I have great uncles who stormed the beach at Normandy. Cousins who lost their lives in Vietnam. My family is a family of patriots. Veterans. So every V-Day I bake a cake in their honor. I call it my Veteran's Day Cake.

My mother-in-law gave me this recipe many years ago. I was just a girl of sixteen, dating her youngest son at the time. I call it a Veteran's Day Cake because the day she gave me this recipe, we received a long-awaited phone call from her daughter's husband, a medic in Vietnam. The family had not heard from him for some time. It was a good day, and we baked this cake to celebrate. As I sit typing, this wonderful cake fills my whole house with a scrumptious aroma and warm of memories of the past.
Enjoy!

COCONUT WALNUT POUND CAKE

Combine the following wet ingredients and beat:
2 cups sugar
1 cup veg. oil
4 beaten eggs

Combine the following dry ingredients:
3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt, baking soda, and baking powder
1 cup walnuts
1 cup coconut

Mix WET and DRY ingredients together, AND then add 1 cup buttermilk and 2 tsp. coconut extract

Pour into well-greased Bundt pan and bake 325 for one hour (maybe longer depending on your oven.)

Take a fork and carefully poke holes in top of hot cake.
WHILE cake is still hot, pour the following syrup-melt over cake allowing to absorb

3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon coconut extract
boil for ONE minute

Let cake set for 4 hours before serving.

Blessings to every Veteran today!

1 comment:

B Clardy said...

This receipe has too much oil.
I would use sweet potatoes instead.
Really...