Thursday, January 24, 2008

Interesting Idiots

I'm putting the final touches on my manuscript since splitting it in two. (It's not a book until it's published.) It will be on its way to my agent this weekend and then Mike and I are heading to a cabin for some R&R. Rest and relaxation. A belated anniversary spot.

I feel as though my body's been welded to this chair. Every morning, however, there are a few web sites and blogs I tune in to. Dena Harris has the best blog. Funny, well written, and full of surprises. Especially today's blog ... http://blogsbydenaharris.squarespace.com/ ... she's honest about herself, which makes her not only funny... but interesting.

Interesting people. They're what make the world go around. Interesting comes in all sorts of shapes and sizes. People, like Dena, are interesting because of their wit, their humor, their love for animals, their stamina to weather the storms. She's an animal lover, and get's physically ill when she sees a stray dog or cat. I thought about my friend this morning.

Some folks, though interesting ... aren't worth the time to write about them. Like our neighbors across the street. Today I realized there's a new kind of interesting breed of people. Interesting idiots. What makes these people tick, I wonder?

This morning, there's a little dead puppy at the end of my driveway. The neighbors across the street had this precious dog, a Rottweiler mix, that played in their front yard. It lived on their porch. No leash, no supervision. More than once we chased the dog back into their yard as we went to our mailbox. A friendly little fella, but we knew in the back of our minds, it was doomed.

And this morning ... it happened. Michael ran out to the end of our driveway. The dog was still breathing. Immediately, I called the police, while Michael watched the owners back out of their driveway in a beat-up pickup, take a look at their puppy laying in our driveway and then took off. But a few minutes later, guilt must've got the best of them. They backed up and got out of their pickup. Michael let them have it. Then the police came. But in the meantime, the poor puppy died. The animal protection officer also let the yahoos know a thing or two about taking care of pets.

The house across the street is a rental that changes occupants about every six months. And about every six months, a new dog moves in, as well. A dog that is usually dead before the renters move out.

I don't understand people. Interesting people? Interesting idiots. My heart goes out to animals like this. I wish I could steal these dogs and give them to a good home. We just knew this puppy's days were numbered as he would wander toward the street every day.

I think from now on, any more loose dogs I see, I'm taking action. Of some kind.

Blessings to you and your animals this day.

No comments: